and Responsibility : The 'Work' of Levinas (Suny Series in
Contemporary Continental Philosophy) by Dennis King
The work of Levinas has, for the most part,
been too easily read. Levinas's use of words like
"responsibility" and "God" gives some
readers reason to dismiss his work as insufficiently attentive
to the whispered suspicions of our times, while giving others
reason to accept his work as a clarion call guiding them out of
this wilderness of disorienting whispers. Richly informed by
readings of Heidegger, Derrida, and Blanchot, Keenan argues that
the notion of responsibility at the heart of Levinas's notion of
ethics is intimately dependent upon his account of death...
here to learn more about this book
here for more Levinas Books
here for more Phenomenology Books
here for more Jewish Philosophy Books
here for more Books on Ethics
here for 20th Century Philosophy Books
This site includes:
Also includes links to two essays on Levinas:
Built by Anthony F. Beavers
By Anthony F. Beavers.
Essays on Levinas or with his name in the
- Atterton, Peter. Levinas:
English Bibliography: Secondary Texts (San Diego State University).
- Beavers, Anthony F. "Introducing Levinas to
Undergraduate Philosophers" (University of Evansville).
- Edgoose, Julian. "Philosophy of
Education: An Ethics of Hesitant Learning: The Caring Justice of Levinas and Derrida"
(Teachers College, Columbia University).
- Beavers, Anthony F. Levinas beyond the Horizons of
Cartesianism: Introduction (University of Evansville).
- Beavers, Anthony F. "Emmanuel Levinas and the
Prophetic Voice of Postmodernity" (University of Evansville).
- Atterton, Peter. Levinas: English Bibliography:
Primary Texts (San Diego State University).
- Levinas, Emmanuel. "Martin Heidegger and
Ontology." Originally published in Diacritics.
- Glowacka, Dorota. "Animus: Sacrificing the Text:
The Philosopher/Poet at Mount Moriah."
- Faulconer, James. "Three Positions on Reason and Faith:
A Draft of a Sketch" (Brigham Young University).
- Lewin, Philip. "The
Ethical Self in the Play of Affect and Voice."
- Stone, Lynda. "Philosophy of
Education: Three Gestures on Otherness: (Re)joining with Edgoose Through Derrida's Khora"
(University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill).
- Gendlin, Eugene T. "On Cultural Crossing" (University of
- Mason, Mark. "Philosophy of
Education: In Defense of a Dialectical Ethic Beyond Postmodern Morality"
(University of Cape Town). [Responses]
- Beavers, Anthony F. "Descartes beyond Transcendental
Phenomenology: Reconsidering Heidegger's Critique of the Cartesian Project"
(University of Evansville).
- Faulconer, James. "Moses and Israel: Community and the Name"
(Brigham Young University).
- Gallagher, Shaun. "Personalism"
- Sichel, Betty A. "Philosophy of
Education: Beyond Moral Stories" (University of Houston). [Responses]
- Faulconer, James. "Deconstruction" (Brigham Young
- Gall, Robert S. "Living
On (Happily) Ever After: Derrida, Philosophy and the Comic." Originally published
in Philosophy Today.
- Gregoriou, Zelia. "Philosophy of
Education: Philosophers with Microscopes, Children with Kaleidoscopes, and the
Nostalgia for the Fleshy Paraphragm" (University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana).
- Kierans, Kenneth. "Animus: Beyond Deconstruction."
- Sandbothe, Mike. "The Temporalization of Time in
Modern Philosophy" Trans. Andrew Inkpin (Magdeburg University).
- Blacker, David. "Philosophy of
Education: On Some Responses to Dying to Teach: The Educator's Search for
Immortality" (Illinois State University).
- Burbules, Nicholas C. "Philosophy of
Education: Postmodern Doubt and Philosophy of Education" (University of
Illinois, Urbana-Champaign). [Responses]
- Cooper, David, ed. A Companion to Aesthetics. Review by Robert Paul (Reed
- Gallagher, Shaun. "Concepts of Self, Person, and Personal
Identity: K" (Canisius College).
- Hatab, Lawrence J. "Ethics
and Finitude: Heideggerian Contributions to Moral Philosophy" (Old Dominion
- Laird, Susan. "Philosophy of
Education: 'Where' are the Philosophers of Education in 1997?" (University of
- Noddings, Nel. "Philosophy of
Education: Response to Suppes" (Stanford University).
- Perring, Christian. "Philosophy of Psychiatry: Page 1:
Ethics, Genetics, Psychiatric Classification and Philosophy of Mind" (University
- Yeghiayan, Eddie. "Jacques Derrida
Bibliography" (University of California, Irvine).
Bibliographic Resources on Levinas